Helping People
Make Something Beautiful Out Of The Broken Pieces

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications & Enforcement

Modifying And Enforcing Family Court Orders

When an already established family court order needs to be changed, it is possible to seek a modification through the courts. A judge needs to approve any changes in order to ensure they are enforceable and in the best interests of all involved parties.

In many cases, the need for a modification to an established order is based on whether or not an individual’s circumstances changed after an agreement has been created. Courts will grant custody and support modifications when a parent or individual has experienced a substantial change in circumstances, which can include relocations, change in working status, injuries and other special needs.

If you have questions or concerns about modifying or enforcing orders, we have the answers. At the Woodbury, Minnesota, office of Kniess Law, LLC, we provide clients with comprehensive family law representation, including initial cases and post-divorce issues such as modifications or enforcement. It is essential that your modification go through the courts to ensure you are not held in contempt for changing the order on your own, or otherwise held liable for the original support amount. Attorney Michelle M. Kniess has extensive experience handling these types of cases and can advise you of your rights and options.

When Can You Modify Court Orders?

  • Child custody modifications: When the amount of parenting time needs to be changed, it must be shown why. It is important to note that a change in custody may also result in a change in child support obligations. However, it is essential that each parent gets proper time with his or her child.
  • Modification of spousal support: Temporary and permanent alimony orders can sometimes be modified. We can consult on these matters as needed for clients who have divorced and currently have an alimony order.
  • Child support modifications: Modifying child support agreements can be fairly straightforward due to the fact that the amount is calculated by a state-set formula. If you can show that you or the other parent has experienced a substantial change in circumstances, the court may allow the order to be modified accordingly.

Enforcing Existing Orders

Individuals who do not pursue modifications, and do not follow the established court orders, could be held in contempt of court or otherwise subject to court sanctions and retroactive liability. This could result in paying child support arrears, as well as wage garnishment of your income, loss of your driver’s license and sanctions. If you are in a difficult situation where you are unable to follow the court orders, or your spouse is refusing to abide by the established agreement, our attorney will help your family.

At our firm, we can help clients enforce court orders on disagreeing spouses. We will also defend clients against enforcement actions if they are in a difficult situation and do not have the ability to uphold the family court order.

Changing Orders To Suit Your Current Situation ∙ Contact Kniess Law, LLC

Talk to our lawyer during a free initial consultation and learn more about how we handle family court order modifications and order enforcement. Call 651-393-9072 or fill out our online contact form to get in touch.