Helping People
Make Something Beautiful Out Of The Broken Pieces

  1. Home
  2.  » Cross-State Family Law (WI/MN)

Handling Family Law Matters In Minnesota And Wisconsin

It is common for Minnesotans to move to Wisconsin, and Wisconsin residents to cross the border to move into Minnesota. However, many individuals and families do not realize the impact that moving can have on any legal issues that involve their children and family. When dealing with family law matters across state lines, it is to your benefit to enlist an attorney who is licensed in both states.

At Kniess Law, LLC, our firm’s founder is one such lawyer. Michelle M. Kniess is licensed to practice law in both Minnesota and Wisconsin, making her a unique ally for families that are facing interstate family law issues. Since our firm is located in Woodbury, Minnesota, we are central to families who go back and forth between the states.

Multistate Families

When parents live in two different states, family law matters, such as child custody arrangements and child support, can become even more complicated. Divorce issues can also become complicated if one or both parents move out of state.

Regardless of your situation, if you are a multistate family or are divorcing and are about to become a multistate family, it is important that you educate yourself on your rights. You need to know which state’s laws govern your situation, where a divorce should be filed, where child custody and support orders are filed, and more.

Who Has Jurisdiction In Family Law Matters?

If your family is spread across the state lines of Minnesota and Wisconsin, it is essential to determine which state will have jurisdiction over divorce proceedings, including custody and support orders. Regardless of which state has jurisdiction, it is beneficial to have an attorney who can handle all of your legal matters in either or both states.

The state that has jurisdiction over your divorce may not necessarily be the same as the state that has jurisdiction over your child custody agreement. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) of 1997 established that the child’s home state — or where they reside primarily — will have continuing jurisdiction over the custody agreements, unless circumstances change. This act also comes into play if one parent moves and relocates the child as well.

Multistate family matters can be complex, and you need an attorney you can depend on. With the help of attorney Kniess at our firm, you can get the answers to all of the questions you have. She is an extremely knowledgeable advocate, putting clients at the center of every case. Our entire firm works to protect your family and all that you have worked so hard to build.

Get Help With Minnesota-Wisconsin Matters ∙ Contact Kniess Law, LLC

Do not make any decisions about your cross-border family law matters until you talk to our lawyer, Michelle M. Kniess. For your free consultation, contact us online using our form or call our firm today at 651-393-9072.