Woodbury Attorney Representing Clients In Custody And Support Modifications

When an already-established family court order needs to be changed, it is possible to seek a modification through the courts. A judge needs to approve any changes in order to ensure they are enforceable and in the best interests of all involved parties.

In many cases, the need for a modification to an established order is based on whether or not an individual's circumstances changed after an agreement has been created. Courts will grant custody and support modifications when a parent or individual has experienced a substantial change in circumstances, which can include relocations, change in working status, injuries and other special needs.

If you have questions or concerns about a modification, we have the answers. At the Woodbury, Minnesota, office of Kniess Law, LLC, we provide clients with comprehensive family law representation, including initial cases and post-divorce issues such as modifications. It is essential that your modification go through the courts to ensure you are not held in contempt for changing the order on your own. Attorney Michelle M. Kniess has extensive experience handling these types of cases and can advise you of your rights and options.

  • Child custody modifications: When the amount of parenting time needs to be changed, it must be shown why. It is important to note that a change in custody may also result in a change in child support obligations. However, it is essential that each parent get proper time with his or her child.
  • Modification of spousal support: Temporary alimony orders are not often modified, though they may be changed if they are made into permanent orders. Permanent orders can be modified. We can consult on these matters as needed for clients who have divorced and currently have an alimony order.
  • Child support modifications: Child support modifications are fairly straightforward due to the fact that the amount is calculated by a state-set formula. If you can show that you or the other parent has experienced a drastic change in circumstances, the court will allow the order to be modified accordingly.

Changing Orders To Suit Your Current Situation ∙ Contact Kniess Law, LLC

Talk to our lawyer during a free initial consultation and learn more about how we handle family court order modifications. Call 800-713-0691 or fill out our online contact form to get in touch.